Project 13, part 4 – The Best Form of Flattery (Part 1, part 2, part 3 here)
Welcome back to Mukashi no Sewing! With my dresses cleaned, it was time to turn my attention to crafting a headdress to match the red velveteen dress. (I already have an ADORABLE black velveteen headdress with white lace from the incomparable Summertales Boutique to match the black dress!) Originally I was going to use a pattern from a Gothic and Lolita Bible based on a Metamorphose headdress, since my dress is by Meta. However, I’m quite picky with how my headdresses look, and I decided to ensure I liked the look of it by copying my favorite rectangle headdress from Baby, the Stars Shine Bright.
The nice thing about using an existing headdress for inspiration was not having to innovate on what trimmings to buy. Etsy shops Kabooco, One Stop Stitched, and HairBowCenter provided the crochet laces and grosgrain ribbon (and very quick shipping, I might add!). The cotton velveteen is what REALLY held up the process. It turns out not many fabric stores carry velveteen that isn’t for upholstery. Upholstery-weight velveteen has a very short pile and is nowhere near as luxurious as I was hoping for, and also doesn’t seem to come in the color I needed. Sigh. I went pretty far afield locally too, but finally ended up having to take a few tries on online orders. After some misses in terms of color/quality, I finally found a cabernet cotton velveteen from Robert Kaufman that was a pretty close match. It’s not quite as ruby red, but considering it will be separated from the dress by being on top of my head, I felt like it was close enough!
Assembly/sewing was a bit of a puzzle at first – I had to reverse-engineer my existing headdress and figure out what order everything needed to go down in! Originally I intended to use my sewing machine, but I quickly realized that to get everything to lay correctly I would need to hand-sew the entire piece.
I’m really glad I bought two yards of the cluny lace. I originally thought I would only need a little over a yard, but I ALWAYS forget how much extra yardage pleating takes up!
The bows on the end were super simple – just loops of ribbon secured in the center with a few stitches, then covered with another folded cut of ribbon. I heat-sealed the edges of all the ribbon as well before I sewed everything down. Then I added a layer of interfacing to the bottom piece of velveteen before whip-stitching the raw edges inside.
I am SOOOOOOOOOOO happy with how this turned out! It will match really well with my Velveteen Princess JSK, of course, but it’s also going to be exceptionally versatile with the rest of my wardrobe as I have several dresses with a base color of bordeaux or ivory that will look tremendous with it.
I’ve always been a little worried about sewing my own lolita accessories, as getting the “vibe” right can be very tricky. Using an existing piece as my guide helped quite a bit, and although the construction is similar I think I really made it my own! Now I just need to create some neckties for my dress to complete the project, so join me next time here on Mukashi no Sewing to see how it turns out! ❤
Subscribe so you never miss a post! New adventures in history and sewing every Tuesday.
2 thoughts on “Velveteen JSKs Restoration: The Sewing (Headdress)”