Project 13, part 1 – Velveteen Dream
Welcome back to Mukashi no Sewing! This week I began a new hybrid project that definitely was not an excuse to buy new dresses. I don’t even know why you’d say that? So weird. 😀
Actually, I’ve wanted to do another lolita project for a while, as having the freedom to use more modern techniques is a relaxing break from the intensity of older restorations. Additionally, I would really like to learn how to work with velvet/velveteen because they can be very tricky fabrics to clean and sew. As these can also be quite expensive fabrics, I thought that doing a restoration would give me the perfect way to gain more experience without the anxiety of buying a whole garment’s worth at $37/yard (or more!).
I’ve also recently begun collecting all the back issues of the seminal (and sadly discontinued) lolita fashion magazine “Gothic and Lolita Bible,” and seeing all the older styles of dresses made me nostalgic and made me feel I’d like to have some of my own. I first started buying the Gothic and Lolita Bible not long after moving to the Pacific Northwest, so I’ve been admiring the fashion since well before I started wearing it!
Originally I planned to just do a single dress, but I ended up finding two that both needed light restoration work rather than one in more dire shape. No, this STILL isn’t an excuse to buy more, honestly… 😀
Both dresses were manufactured by Metamorphose Temps de Fille – “Meta” for short. The wine-colored one is the Velveteen Princess JSK (released in 2005), and was designed by Kuniko Kato (who left Meta to form her own brand, Physical Drop, in 2010). I bought it on Lace Market and it came all the way from Estonia! It’s in tremendous condition, but it is missing the neck ties (I was aware of that when I purchased it, of course!), and additionally the lace that is supposed to be white has weathered to a pale ivory. Since this dress doesn’t need as much restoration as the Milky-chan JSK did, and Gothic and Lolita Bibles have sewing patterns in them, I also intend to sew a matching wine velvet and torchon lace headdress!
The black dress was originally released in 1999! It’s called the Velveteen Sundress JSK – and yes, I’m just as baffled as you as to why Meta released a sundress in such a wintry fabric! It’s absolutely stunning and one of the most comfortable dresses I’ve ever worn. I bought it on Yahoo Japan Auctions and the critical issue with this dress (which, again, I was aware of before bidding) is the stains all over the lace.
As you can see, then, I have a few things to work on! For both dresses, I’ll be learning (and sharing with you!) how to properly wash velveteen as well as clean and restore the stained and discolored cotton lace. Then in addition I’ll be finding a matching cotton velveteen to the wine of Velveteen Princess, and sewing replacement neck ties as well as a brand new matching headdress based on a pattern by Metamorphose in one of the Gothic and Lolita Bibles! I look forward to adding new skills with this tricky fabric to my repertoire, and I can’t wait to see you back here next Tuesday on Mukashi no Sewing! ❤
Subscribe so you never miss a post! New adventures in history and sewing every Tuesday.
5 thoughts on “Velveteen JSKs Restoration: The Beginning”